1. At a certain point when Saul is playing for the Moose and becomes their star player, father Leboutilier comes to a practice to visit him. Why does the Father care for Saul more than he cares about the other students of St. Jerome’s and why does Saul miss him so much? Please give your opinion.
2. As the Moose prepare to face the team from kapuskasing, Saul tells Virgil about how the team has changed. How and why do the team change in the face of this game?
3. Before the game with Kapuskasing, the Moose find themselves disadvantaged in a number of ways. Please list three ways the Moose are at a disadvantaged before the game begins.
4. As Moose continue to play the hockey teams along the Trans-Canada highway, they continue to experience hostility from the teams they face. Please describe two things that happen to them as they continue their hockey tour.
5. Eventually, in the town of Devon, the Moose face a situation that can only be seen as brutal. What happens in this town and how do the Moose handle it? Please be detailed.
6. As Virgil explains to Saul what happened behind the diner, he talks about the most disturbing aspect of the whole situation. What does he find the most disturbing?
7. As chapter 37 ends, Saul notes that white people think they own the game of Hockey, and the world for that matter. Has Canada changed since then? Or is it still owned by the white people who settled here in the 1800’s?
8. As this point in the novel, it is clear that the Moose, and all other First Nations people, have and will continue to suffer racism from the white communities around them. They get no protection from the police, nor from any concerned citizens. In your opinion, how should Saul proceed? Should he continue to playing hockey, or head back to the mill and mining town and work? Please give reasons for your answer.
1. Despite the constant insults and hostility from both the fans and the teams they play, the Moose continue to travel and play hockey. Why do you suppose they choose to continue? What do you think is the smartest thing for them to do? Continue or stop? Why?